Main Content

Preparing to Depart

Passports and Visas

All students need a passport, valid at least 6 months after the program ends. To apply for or renew your passport, U.S. citizens can visit the State Department’s passport site. Non-U.S. citizens should visit their country’s foreign ministry site. Make copies or scans of your passport.

Some students will also need visas, permits to stay in another country. The visa is stamped inside your passport and processing can take several weeks. Do not plan to travel outside the U.S. during this period. Check with your program to see whether you need a visa and how to begin the process. If you’re a U.S. citizen, you can also check your country’s visa requirements by visiting the State Department’s passport site and clicking “Country Information.” Non-U.S. citizens should visit the website of the relevant Embassy or Consulate in their home country.

Pre-Departure Checklist

  • Attend the mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation(s)
  • Submit your passport information and flight itinerary on Global TCU
  • Review the online orientation videos and travel advice on our YouTube channel
  • Contact TCU Student Disabilities Services and/or your study abroad provider if you need accommodations while abroad
  • Notify your bank and credit card companies that you will be abroad
  • Make copies of your bank and credit cards to keep in a secure location. Make an emergency plan for lost or stolen cards. Consider giving your parents power of attorney to act on your behalf.
  • Review the Health, Safety & Emergencies information online and in your program handbooks
  • Enroll in the U.S. State Department’s STEP program to register your travel and receive timely updates on your host country.
  • Visit a doctor and dentist for general check-ups and to discuss travel-related health issues. Request prescriptions for your time away.
  • Forward your TCU mail home
  • Consider purchasing the International Student Identity Card, available through the TCU ID Center
  • Explore the U.S. State Department’s Students Abroad site for additional tips & resources


Students are responsible for managing their Fort Worth housing. The Center for International Studies does not assist with Fort Worth housing, on- or off-campus, and it cannot release names of study abroad students. Many students need housing for single terms, so while housing is a common concern, it rarely poses serious problems.

If you live in on-campus housing, inform Housing and Residence Life that you will be studying abroad. While abroad, you can sign-up for campus housing online, just like any other term at TCU. If you live off-campus, you can also contact Housing and Residence Life for suggestions and advice. Previous study abroad students have also found success by advertising their housing needs through TCU Announce and within their extracurricular organizations.

Resources and Materials

Upon acceptance into the program, you will receive a program-specific materials and other instructions from TCU, your study abroad provider and/or your host university. Here are a few other resources: